Details of the Post
Applications are invited from interested and suitably qualified persons to fill the position of Internal Auditor (IA) for the CARICOM Development Fund (CDF) and the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA) with assigned duty station in Barbados.
The Internal Auditor will provide independent, objective assurance and consulting services that add value and improve the organizations’ operations. The Internal Auditor will help the organizations accomplish their objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes.
FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Applications for this post are open to all citizens and permanent residents of CDF and CDEMA Member States.
Under the direction of the CDF’s Board of Directors and CDEMA’s Council (collectively the client) the incumbent is responsible for leading, supervising/reviewing and/or performing different types of audits at the two Institutions, in accordance with International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing (Standards), covering IT systems, financial, operational, performance, governance, fraud, privacy etc.; providing consulting services to the organizations’ management and staff; and interacting with stakeholders and external auditors as applicable.
The IA will have latitude for initiative and professional judgment in areas under review and strong communication skills to constructively build relationships whilst maintaining independence and objectivity. The IA requires solid working knowledge of internal controls (including General Computer Controls), applying the required international internal audit standards, procedures and techniques and all organizational and professional standards and ethics. In this role the IA is a key contributor to the fulfilment of the Board’s and Council’s governance responsibilities.
I. Position Information
|Organization||CARICOM Development Fund (CDF) and Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA)|
|Supervisor||CDF’s Board of Directors and CDEMA’s Council|
|Duty Station||CDF and CDEMA Offices, Barbados|
|Type of Contract||Service Contract|
|Expected start date||1 January 2024|
|Duration||3 years, renewable|
II. Summary of Duties and Responsibilities
The Internal Auditor is expected to achieve the following Key Results:
- Ensure that audits at CDF and CDEMA are effectively planned, executed, and reported on in a timely manner.
2. Key Result 2: Ensure effective risk assessment and analysis are incorporated into the Internal Audit Process.
3. Key Result 3: Ensure effective quality assurance and continuous improvement within the Internal Audit Department.
4. Key Result 4: Ensure other key activities are adequately performed
III. Other Activities to be undertaken
• Travel as required in connection with audit execution.
• Any other activities required to fulfill the requirements of the post.
IV. Qualification and Experience
4.1. This position requires certification and membership in at least one of the following professional accounting bodies:
– Institute of Chartered Accountants –ICA
– Association of Chartered Certified Accountants – ACCA
– Certified Public Accountant – CPA
– Certified Professional Accountant – CPA
– Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field.
A Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) Certification would be considered an asset
4.2. This position requires at least five (5) years post qualification experience in auditing and accounting; including a minimum of three (3) years at a managerial/supervisory level with experience garnered from organizations/institutions such as:
- Government/Quasi-government entities
□ Regional organizations
□ International organizations
□ Audit/Accounting firms
□ Commercial entities
In addition, candidates should possess:
I. Strong written and verbal communication skills in English.
II. Strong interpersonal skills.
III. A good working knowledge of:
- International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing.
- The Microsoft suite of applications.
- Application and use of audit management software (would be an asset)
This job is characterised by:
- the need for periodic travel to Member States and project areas;
- independent and innovative thinking to solve complex development issues;
- high paced and intense levels of activity on a cyclical basis to complete audits;
- intensive use of the computer for extended periods; and
- effective collaboration with internal and external stakeholders of the two regional institutions.
V. Compensation and benefits
An attractive remuneration package will be offered.
Applications with curriculum vitae details to include nationality, date of birth, relevant work experience, educational qualifications, summary of professional skills and or expertise, list of professional publications, coordinates (including e-mail addresses) of two (2) referees (at least one of whom must be familiar with the applicant’s work), and other relevant information, should be submitted by 30th November 2023 and addressed to:
Position: Internal Auditor
The Chief Executive Officer
CARICOM Development Fund
1st Floor East, SKY Mall
Haggatt Hall, St. Michael BB11063
ONLY SUITABLE APPLICANTS WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED
Notice expires at 11:59pm on Thursday November 30th, 2023