Details of the Post
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Judicial Research Assistant within the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court, Headquarters, Castries, Saint Lucia.
JOB TITLE : Judicial Research Assistant
REPORTS TO : Chief Registrar
CLASSIFICATION : MPP 2
A. DUTIES AND TASKS
- Reviews and summarizes evidence, procedural history, and legal issues in relation to matters before the Court of Appeal and prepares bench memoranda.
- Conducts legal research.
- Prepares first drafts of judgments and orders for review by the Chief Justice and Justices of Appeal.
- Reviews legal documents at the request of the Chief Justice and Justices of Appeal.
- Prepares digests of proceedings for sittings of the Court of Appeal.
- Reviews court documents, for completeness of format, citations, grammar, spelling, clarity and accuracy.
- Headnotes and proofreads judgments in preparation for delivery.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the Chief Registrar.
B. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Ability to proofread accurately.
- Ability to prepare judgments for delivery.
- Ability to prepare orders of the Court.
- Ability to review and summarize evidence, procedural history and legal issues in relation to matters before the Court of Appeal.
- Ability to conduct research for the Chief Justice and Justices of Appeal.
- Ability to prepare digests of proceedings at sittings of the Court of Appeal.
- Ability to identify and analyze factual and legal issues relevant to the disposition of appeals.
- Ability to formulate dispositions for consideration of the Chief Justice and Justices of Appeal.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- The applicant should have sound working knowledge and training in Research Methods, Legal Research and Analysis, Rules of the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal Rules, Protocol and IT applications for office operations.
- The applicant should be called to the Bar in a Commonwealth Country or will be called the Bar in a Commonwealth Country within a reasonable period after appointment.
C. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor of Laws Degree; and
- A Legal Education Certificate or equivalent recognised qualification.
At least one (1) year of relevant prior working experience in a similar environment would be an asset.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
Completed employment application form, together with a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), two  written reference letters and certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, should be addressed to:
Judicial and Legal Services Commission
Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court
2nd Floor, Heraldine Rock Building
P.O. Box 1093
Saint Lucia, West Indies.
To arrive no later than Friday, 13th October 2023.
NB: Application forms may be downloaded at the Court’s Website (www.eccourts.org). Applications may also be submitted via email to email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged. Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview. Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be shortlisted for interview.
Notice expires at 11:59pm on Friday October 13th, 2023