Barbadians are voting in General Elections today Wednesday 19 January 2022.
Seven Political Parties and nine Independent Candidates are contesting the 30 seats at stake in the Barbados Parliament. The Electoral and Boundaries Commission say there are 266,330 registered voters.
Prime Minister Mia Mottley, who called the snap elections more than a year before the constitutional deadline, is again leading her Barbados Labour Party (BLP) which swept all 30 seats at the last poll in May 2018.
The main opposition Democratic Labour Party (DLP) will also, for the first time, be led by a woman; the lawyer and former Senator Ms Verla De Peiza.
The other contesting parties are;
- Alliance Party for Progress – 20 candidates
- Solutions Barbados – 11 candidates
- Bajan Free Party – 4 candidates
- Barbados Sovereignty Party – 2 candidates
- New Barbados Kingdom Alliance – 2 candidates
Polls close at 6:00 p.m. Barbados time and preliminary results are expected to be announced tonight.