Consultancy for the Development of an Online Consumer Protection Training Course for CARICOM
This project stems from the need to build capacity within the CSME on consumer protection law and policy. At its core is the development of an online consumer protection course comprising five training modules, namely:
- Module A – An introduction to consumer protection, which will provide an overview of consumer protection, the economic and legal rationale for consumer law and its relationship with other related laws protecting consumers.
- Module B – Provisions of consumer protection law, which will look at the traditional aspects of consumer protection law, including: misleading and deceptive practices; bait advertising; unfair contractual terms; and any other unfair trading practices.
- Module C – Consumer Protection in CARICOM, which will examine national and regional consumer protection legal frameworks in CARICOM, including: the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas, the Model CARICOM Consumer Protection Bill, and the CARICOM Rapid Alert System for the Exchange of Information on Dangerous (non-food) goods or CARREX.
- Module D – The enforcement of consumer protection matters, which will tackle issues such as developing industry codes, conducting investigations of consumer complaints, consumer advocacy, dispute resolution and consumer redress.
- Module E – Emerging trends in consumer protection, which will introduce participants to topical consumer issues such as: privacy in digital markets; consumer protection in e-commerce; consumer protection in financial markets; and consumer protection during COVID-19.
The CCC is partnering with the Commonwealth Secretariat to procure the services of an experienced consultant to develop the online consumer protection course. The two agencies will together select a suitable candidate for the consultancy position, while the Commonwealth Secretariat will provide the requisite project support, inputs and funding in relation to the engagement of a qualified Consultant. Scope of the Requirement
The consultant is being engaged to develop an online consumer protection law and policy I course for the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). The online course is intended to build the capacity of consumer protection officials in the region and provide a sustainable mechanism for training for many years. The course will also enable the region to build a cadre of consumer protection officials in the region that approach consumer issues in a harmonised manner. In doing so, this should strengthen the Single Market initiative of the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME) by providing consumers with confidence that deceptive business practices in any Member State will be addressed in a consistent fashion by national consumer protection authorities.
Please apply for this contract by submitting a Technical and Commercial proposal to email@example.com by 28 February 2022.
Prices quoted should include VAT but must indicate clearly where VAT is applicable and where items might be zero-rated.
Evaluation will be based on both competency and cost.
Notice expires at 5:00pm on Monday February 28th, 2022