Type of Vacancy: Community Vacancies
Details of the Post
Applications are invited from suitably qualified nationals of CARICOM Development Fund (CDF) Member States, to fill the position of Programme Specialist (Sustainable Energy) in the Regional Development Division of the CDF with assigned duty station in Barbados.
The CDF was established under the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas. It provides technical and financial assistance to disadvantaged countries, regions and sectors, including communities and businesses, to facilitate successful participation in the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME). The Regional Development Division (RDD) is the department within the CDF tasked with managing the design and implementation of the agency’s technical and financial assistance programmes.
- FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Programme Specialist (Sustainable Energy) supports the delivery of technical and financial assistance to Member States and contributes to the achievement of CDF’s core operational results, including providing strategic advice on sustainable energy, and how it integrates with other instruments and crosscutting themes, in the formulation of the CDF’s strategies, policies, programmes and projects. In this role, the successful applicant is a key contributor to the execution of CDF’s programmes and projects aimed at improving the competitiveness of Small and Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) and promoting their development through sustainable energy interventions. The Programme Specialist (Sustainable Energy) manages interventions across the programme/project management cycle – from identification and pipeline building to self-evaluation and reporting – using a results-based approach and integrating gender, social inclusion, environment and climate change considerations.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Master’s Degree in Sustainable Energy, Renewable Energy, Energy Economics/Finance or related disciplines, with specific academic or professional background related to the successful design and implementation of policies, programmes and projects in the areas of energy transition planning, renewable energy, energy efficiency or a related field.
- Knowledge and experience in the application of Environmental and Social Safeguards (ESS) and Environmental and Social Management Systems (ESMS) would be highly desirable.
- Technical qualification and/or professional certification and/or experience in business administration, results-based project cycle management or financing would be an advantage.
- At least seven (7) years of experience in the Caribbean sustainable energy sector and at least some practical work experience in sustainable energy project development and financing, including:
- practical work experience in renewable energy and/or energy efficiency project development to bankable stage with a public or private entity; project development sensitive to the interrelationship between climate, environment and sustainable energy; knowledge of RE solar PV, wind, hydro, bio-energy, geothermal and EE street lighting, building technologies, heating/cooling processes, electric motors and pumps, appliances, etc.; understanding of support mechanisms for RE (e.g. feed in tariff, net metering, etc.) and EE (e.g. tax incentive schemes, etc.);
- Experience with Energy Service Companies, the adoption of Minimum Energy Performance Standards, and measurement of impact of sustainable energy investments; and
- Understanding of business plans, cash-flow calculations and relevant key performance indicators such as IRR, NPV, DSCR, dynamic payback period, etc.
- Ability to work in a team and to think innovatively.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Experience in working with or at a regional institution or development agency;
- Experience with international development organizations and funding institutions would be an asset;
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving and communication skills and ability to interact effectively with persons of varied professional and cultural backgrounds;
- Proficiency with computer-based applications – Microsoft Project and Microsoft Office 365 Suite, including the use of electronic platforms for interactive meetings and webinars;
- Foreign language proficiency (French, Spanish, or Dutch) would be an advantage.
- SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES
The Programme Specialist reports to the Director RDD and, inter alia, is expected to:
- Develop sustainable energy project pipelines, appraise sustainable energy projects, mainstream and implement the due-diligence process for Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency (RE/EE) project implementation;
- Use assessment tools to ensure robust appraisal of RE/EE projects and develop bankable project proposals for CDF’s financial and technical assistance support;
- Advise the Director RDD and the management of the CDF on technical, economic, social, environmental and policy considerations surrounding sustainable energy programmes and projects;
- Oversee and manage the development and implementation of CDF financed or co-financed sustainable energy programmes and projects;
- Coordinate and facilitate the participation of consultants/contracted workers on CDF supported projects including the development of Terms of Reference, procurement of services consistent with CDF procurement guidelines, facilitating and participating in technical country missions, supervision of contracts and agreed deliverables, and generally providing technical and administrative oversight;
- Establish performance indicators, monitor and evaluate the progress of CDF sustainable energy projects/programmes in achieving outputs, outcomes and meeting policy goals and targets;
- Maintain communication and promote effective relationships with regional and international agencies around sustainable energy issues;
- Represent and make presentations on behalf of the CDF at national, regional or international meetings, conferences and other events established around sustainable energy issues as approved by the CEO;
- Undertake administrative and other programme support activities such as preparation of routine status reports, quarterly programme and project monitoring reports, project completion reports, CDF board papers, other project documentation, and public relations/visibility and knowledge products.
This job is characterised by:
- the need for periodic travel to Member States and project areas;
- independent and innovative thinking to solve complex development issues;
- high paced and intense levels of activity on a cyclical basis to complete programmes and projects;
- intensive use of the computer for extended periods; and
- effective collaboration with internal and external stakeholders of the Regional Development Division.
4. EMOLUMENTS AND BENEFITS
An attractive remuneration package will be offered.
5. RECRUITMENT AND APPOINTMENT
Appointment will be on contract for a specified period. It will be subject to such regulations, rules, orders and instructions as exist and as may be introduced from time to time in respect of service with the CARICOM Development Fund.
Applications with curriculum vitae details to include nationality, date of birth, relevant work experience, educational qualifications, summary of professional skills and or expertise, list of professional publications, coordinates (including e-mail addresses) of two (2) referees (at least one of whom must be familiar with the applicant’s work), and other relevant information, should be submitted by 15th July 2022 and addressed to:
POSITION: Programme Specialist (Sustainable Energy)
The Chief Executive Officer
CARICOM Development Fund
1st Floor East, SKY Mall
Haggatt Hall, St. Michael BB 11063, Barbados
And sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
ONLY SUITABLE APPLICANTS WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED
Notice expires at 11:59pm on Friday July 15th, 2022