Type of Vacancy: Expired Notices
Details of the Post
Applications are invited from suitably qualified nationals of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) including from Associate Members, to fill the position of Programme Specialist (Business Development) in the Regional Development Division of the CARICOM Development Fund (CDF) with assigned duty station in Barbados.
The CDF was established under the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas. It provides technical and financial assistance to disadvantaged countries, sectors and regions, including communities, to facilitate successful participation in the CARICOM Single Market and Economy (CSME). The Regional Development Division (RDD) is the unit within the CDF tasked with managing the design and implementation of the agency’s technical and financial assistance programmes.
- FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Programme Specialist (Business Development) supports the delivery of technical and financial assistance to Member States and contributes to the achievement of CDF’s core operational results, including providing strategic advice on business development, and how it integrates with other instruments and crosscutting themes, in the formulation of the CDF’s strategies, policies, programmes and projects. In this role, the successful applicant is a key contributor to the execution RDD’s programmes and projects aimed at improving the competitiveness of small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) and their capacity to take advantage of business opportunities within the CSME and extra-regionally, across all economic sectors. The Programme Specialist manages interventions across the programme/project management cycle – from identification and pipeline building to self-evaluation and reporting – using a results-based approach and integrating gender, social inclusion, environment and climate change considerations.
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Economics or related discipline; and formal training in results-based project cycle management.
- At least four years’ experience in the identification, design, monitoring, and evaluation of sector and firm level private sector development interventions aimed at improving innovation, productivity and competitiveness.
- A sound understanding of private sector development and financing instruments and best practices; the private sector development challenges faced by CDF Member States; and the current focus of other development agencies that support private sector development in the region.
- Formal training and hands-on experience in mainstreaming gender, social inclusion, environment, and climate change considerations in private sector development will be highly valued.
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving and communication skills and ability to interact effectively with persons of varied professional and cultural backgrounds.
- Proficiency with computer-based applications – Microsoft Project and Microsoft Office 365 Suite, including the use of electronic platforms for interactive meetings and webinars.
- Foreign language proficiency (French, Spanish, or Dutch) will be an advantage.
- SPECIFIC TASKS AND DUTIES
The Programme Specialist (Business Development) reports to the Director RDD and, inter alia, is expected to:
- Design instruments, support measures and other interventions to improve prospects for enhanced competitiveness and scaling up of the operations of SMEs in disadvantaged countries, sectors and regions within the CSME.
- Manage dialogue with decision-makers towards identifying and assessing the business development support needs of Member States and develop programmes and project pipelines aligned with CDF’s strategic priorities.
- Review and assess requests received by the CDF to determine eligibility, quantify financing needed and/or technical assistance requirements, as well as recommend appropriate pre-conditions for the provision of the assistance.
- Lead programme preparation/design missions, working with national public officers, the private sector and any consultants engaged by CDF for the purpose.
- Manage the internal appraisal process, including presenting draft project proposals to and incorporating feedback from internal reviewers, and finalising documents for approval.
- Effectively manage the post-approval stage of the programme/project cycle to minimise the time between approval, execution of agreement and first disbursement.
- Support project implementation teams at start-up, including ensuring execution arrangements are adequate to ensure success; all key stakeholders are adequately briefed on planned results and their roles; and the execution team has all the skills and tools needed for a results-focused approach to execution which integrates cross cutting themes during implementation.
- Provide continuous oversight to the execution of approved projects to maintain timely collection, monitoring and analysis of data, disbursement requests, identification of risks and implementation of corrective actions; effective management of project communications; focus on planned results; sustainability; and the punctual preparation of results-based progress reports.
- Prepare on schedule, results-based Project Monitoring Reports for the CDF management and maintain the institution’s formal record of implementation.
- Manage the project close-off process so the executing agency fully accounts for approved resources; implements arrangements for sustainability of project benefits; and punctually prepares final reports, to support the preparation of Project Completion Reports.
- Support the development of the budget and work schedule for programme areas financed by the CDF in its delivery of technical and financial assistance to disadvantaged countries, regions and sectors in the CSME.
- Closely monitor the progress and impact of related projects, programmes and interventions financed by other development agencies and/or supported by other regional institutions, to establish partnerships and/or strengthen linkages with these interventions as appropriate, to expand the availability of training, entrepreneurial competence, business management, technology, affordable finance and networking opportunities to SMEs to innovate and increase efficient production, while differentiating CDF’s support.
- Convene, attend, arrange and/or facilitate meetings and otherwise broker partnerships between eligible recipients and other development partners and financial institutions, to help mobilize complementary assistance for eligible projects and interventions that require resources in excess of those available from the CARICOM Development Fund.
- Develop and disseminate knowledge products to support CDF’s capacity building and corporate visibility objectives.
This job is characterised by:
- the need for periodic travel to Member States and project areas;
- independent and innovative thinking to solve complex development issues;
- high paced and intense levels of activity on a cyclical basis to complete programmes;
- intensive use of the computer for extended periods; and
- effective collaboration with internal and external stakeholders of the Regional Development Division
4. EMOLUMENTS AND BENEFITS
An attractive remuneration package will be offered.
5. RECRUITMENT AND APPOINTMENT
Appointment will be on contract for a specified period. It will be subject to such regulations, rules, orders and instructions as exist and as may be introduced from time to time in respect of service with the CARICOM Development Fund.
Applications with curriculum vitae details to include nationality, date of birth, relevant work experience, educational qualifications, summary of professional skills and or expertise, list of professional publications, coordinates (including e-mail addresses) of two (2) referees (at least one of whom must be familiar with the applicant’s work), and other relevant information, should be submitted by 25th October 2021 and addressed to:
Position: Programme Specialist (Business Development)
The Chief Executive Officer
CARICOM Development Fund
1st Floor East, SKY Mall
Haggatt Hall, St. Michael BB11063
ONLY SUITABLE APPLICANTS WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED
Notice expires at 11:59pm on Monday October 25th, 2021