Type of Vacancy: Community Vacancies
Details of the Post
The Government of Montserrat is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for the post of Orderly in the Ministry of Health and Social Services.
The purpose of this job is to provide assistance to medical, nursing, geriatric and administrative staff with hospital and geriatric patients; transportation of supplies, pharmaceuticals, records and samples: and undertaking morgue duties.
Main Responsibilities include:
To assist hospital/medical staff with matters pertaining to patient/client care including:
- transporting Pharmacy and Laboratory stores by trolley
- transporting medical supplies via trolley
- transporting meals and dishes by trolley to and from the hospital kitchen, ward and Geriatric homes
- transporting of furniture and equipment internally and externally
- transporting bodies from the wards and geriatric homes and to mortuary
- Collection and Delivery:
- collecting and delivering results and samples to and from the laboratory
- collecting and delivering drug boxes for the pharmacy
- collecting and changing medical gases
- collecting and delivering patient records and x-rays for the wards and Medical Records
- cleaning casualty, patient trolleys and mortuary trolleys
- dusting high areas
- Patient Care Duties
- moving and handling of patients within the hospital and to and from the hospital
- assisting medical, nursing and geriatric staff with patients at the hospital and residents at the geriatric home
- Garbage, Morgue and Other Duties
- disposing garbage from all sites within the hospital and geriatric homes to hospital garbage holding area
- changing cooking gas cylinders
- incinerating or burying placenta, amputated limbs, lab waste and used needles
- performing all mortuary functions and assisting with post-mortems and sanitizing as necessary
- autoclaving of dressings and surgical instruments
2. Monitoring and safety
- Monitoring the operations of the mortuary chiller and freezer and regularly record temperatures.
- Reporting any temperatures outside the normal range of the mortuary chiller and freezer to the Maintenance Technician immediately.
- Reporting any maintenance issues to the Maintenance Technician immediately.
- Accompanying medical staff to and from their work areas in the night hours.
- Securing of the hospital and Homes in the night hours by patrolling the compound and operating night-lights
Person Specification/Key Skills Requirements (Qualifications, Experience and Interpersonal):
The Applicant should:
- Possess School Leaver’s Certificate
- Be able to able to read and write
- Be physically fit
Terms of Appointment
Appointment will be made on a permanent basis.
The salary scale for the post is R48-38, that is, EC$21, 720 to $28, 596 per annum (taxable).
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.gov.ms (click on ‘Jobs with the Government of Montserrat’) or by contacting the Human Resources Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to email@example.com or by telephone at (+664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at (+664) 491-6234. A two day training exercise will be held for applicants and applicants will be required to shadow substantive post holders on assigned shifts prior to interviews.
To apply send your completed application form or curriculum vitae with a recent police certificate/record and a cover letter with the names of at least two referees to the Human Resources Management Unit by January 29, 2021.
Notice expires at 11:59pm on Friday January 29th, 2021