Type of Vacancy: Community Vacancies
Details of the Post
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Crown Counsel IV, Attorney General’s Chambers, Saint Lucia.
JOB TITLE : Crown Counsel IV
REPORTS TO : Solicitor General
supervises : Crown Counsels and Legal Secretaries
CLASSIFICATION : Grade 18
A. RELATIONSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provision of professional efficient and ethical legal services to the Government of Saint Lucia in matters related but not limited to the conduct of Civil Legislation, provision of legal advice, drafting and vetting of contracts and other agreements.
- Works under the direction of and reports to the Solicitor General.
- Required to respond whenever necessary to the Attorney General and Permanent Secretary on matters related to work in progress.
B. DUTIES AND TASKS
1. Provides assistance to Crown Counsels III, II and I on complex legal suits by searching reference books, statutes, appeals decisions, and identifying case law on procedural, evidentiary and substantive legal issues.
2. Provides advice and guidance to secretaries on legal precedent, procedures and requirements and responds to escalated difficult cases.
3. Obtains documents from government departments and Ministries required to prepare cases for trial.
4. Researches and analyses documents and case law to ensure the accuracy of advice given to Government Ministries and Departments.
5. Attends meetings and negotiations with opposing parties to facilitate early settlement so as to avoid the necessity and expense of going to trial.
6. Delegates and supervises work of Crown Counsels III, II and I.
7. Prepares legal opinions, files Statements of Case in Magistrate Court, High Court and Appellant Courts in Constitutional and other civil legal proceedings of a complex nature.
9. Appears and represents the Government of Saint Lucia in the District Courts, the High Court and the Court of Appeal in Constitutional and other civil legal proceedings of a complex nature.
10. Negotiates settlement of civil disputes.
11. Confers with colleagues with specialties in appropriate areas of legal issue to establish and verify bases for legal proceedings.
12. Performs administrative and management functions related to the practice of law.
13. Acts as Tutor Ad Hoc in applications for adoption of Infants.
14. Functions as a legal representative of the Government locally, regionally and internationally in matters involving complex constitutional and other civil issues.
15. Appears in appeals in disciplinary matters involving members of the Public Service.
16. Reviews, vets and approves documents for Marriage Licences and Alien Licences applications.
17. Prepares and vets deeds, contracts and Agreements to which Government is a party.
18. Represents the Attorney General on various Statutory Bodies and Committees.
19. Performs such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Attorney General and the Permanent Secretary.
1. Functions in a schedule traveling post and receives basic traveling and mileage allowance in accordance with approved rates.
2. Required to maintain a motor vehicle for the proper performance of duties.
3. Accommodation provided in a general administrative office.
4. Institutional support is provided through appropriate civil service regulations and departmental guidelines.
5. Salary is in accordance with the terms and conditions stipulated by Government in the Estimates/Collective Agreement.
6. This post is non-pensionable.
D. EVALUATION METHOD
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of the following;
1. Demonstrated supervisory capabilities and interpersonal skills.
2. Punctual and consistent attendance to duties.
3. Number of problems investigated and relevance of prescriptions.
4. Compliance with Ministry guidelines and standard operating procedures.
5. Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the job description.
6. Compliance with and responsiveness to supervision.
7. Performance evaluation method will be conducted in accordance with the method contained in the Staff Orders for the Public Service of Saint Lucia.
E. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. A sound working knowledge of the Laws of Saint Lucia.
2. A working knowledge of and ability to interpret Legislation, Civil Service Rules and Regulations, Collective Agreement.
3. Extensive knowledge of the court procedure.
4. Extensive knowledge of legal principles, practices and proceedings.
5. Knowledge of Government procedures and practices.
6. Ability to plan and organise work and prepare clear concise reports.
7. Ability to analyze issues, make interpretations and sound recommendations.
8. Proven ability to solve legal problems in a methodical and practical way.
9. Ability to communicate persuasively and clearly, both orally and in writing.
10. Self-motivated and a proven ability to work well as part of a team.
F. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
1. Masters Degree in Law plus Legal Education Certificate with three (3) years’ experience in a post at Grade 17.
2. A Bachelor’s Degree in Law and a Post Graduate Diploma plus Legal Education Certificate with six (6) years of experience in the legal field.
G. SALARY AND ALLOWANCES
Basic salary is at the rate of EC$82,323.96 per annum, plus the following allowances per annum:
Legal Allowance $18,000.00
Travel Allowance $7,620.00
Salary and allowances are exempt from income tax.
Applications, along with two written references and certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, should be addressed to:
Judicial and Legal Services Commission
2nd Floor, Heraldine Rock Building
Saint Lucia, W.I.
To reach him no later than Wedjesday, 11th October 2023.
NB: Applications may also be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged. Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview. Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be shortlisted for interview.
Notice expires at 11:59pm on Wednesday October 11th, 2023