Type of Vacancy: Community Vacancies
Details of the Post
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for appointment to the post of Crown Counsel II, Attorney General’s Chambers, Saint Lucia.
JOB TITLE : Crown Counsel II
REPORTS TO : Solicitor General
supervises : Secretary IV, III, II, I
CLASSIFICATION : Grade 16
- RELATIONSHIP AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provision of professional efficient and ethical legal services to the Government of Saint Lucia in matters related but not limited to the conduct of Civil Legislation, provision of legal advice, drafting and vetting of contracts and other agreements.
- Works under the direction of and reports to the Solicitor General.
- Required to respond whenever necessary to the Attorney General and Permanent Secretary, on matters related to work in progress.
B. DUTIES AND TASKS
- Appears and represents the Government of Saint Lucia in the District Court and the High Court in Constitutional and other civil legal proceedings.
- Appears in appeals in disciplinary matters involving members of the Public Service.
- Prepares legal documents to be filed in civil matters.
- Provides legal advice to all Ministries of Government.
- Review, vet and approve documents for Marriage Licences applications.
- Prepares petitions and escheat of vacant lands.
- Prepares and vets Deeds, Contracts and Agreements to which Government is a party.
- Represents the Attorney General on various statutory bodies and committees.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Attorney General and the Permanent Secretary.
- Functions in scheduled travelling post and receives basic travelling and mileage allowance in accordance with approved rates.
- Required to maintain a motor vehicle for the performance of duties.
- Accommodation provided in a general administrative office.
- Institutional support is provided through appropriate civil service regulations and departmental guidelines.
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
D. EVALUATION METHOD
Work performance will be evaluated on the basis of the following:
- Timely completion of reports and meeting of task deadlines.
- Punctual and consistent attendance at meetings.
- Number of problems investigated and relevance of prescriptions.
- Compliance with Ministry guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Effective implementation of duties, responsibilities and assignments as defined in the job description.
- Compliance with a responsiveness to supervision.
- Performance evaluation method will be conducted in accordance with methods contained in the Public Service Management Act.
E. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- A sound working knowledge of the Laws of Saint Lucia.
- A working knowledge of and ability to interpret Legislation, Civil Service Rules and Regulations, Collective Agreements etc.
- Knowledge of the Court Procedures
- Knowledge of legal principles, practices and proceedings.
- Knowledge of government procedures and practices.
- Ability to communicate persuasively and clearly both orally and in writing.
- Self-motivated and proven ability to work well as part of a team.
- Ability to plan and organize work and prepare concise reports.
- Ability to analyse issues, make interpretations and sound recommendations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the public.
F. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
A Bachelors degree in Law and a Legal Education Certificate plus three (3) years of experience at Grade 15.
G. SALARY AND ALLOWANCES
Basic salary is at the rate of EC$73,901.16 per annum, plus the following allowances per annum:
Legal Allowance $12,000.00
Travel Allowance $7,620.00
Salary and allowances are exempt from income tax.
Applications, along with two written references and certified copies of documents pertaining to qualifications, should be addressed to:
Judicial and Legal Services Commission
2nd Floor, Heraldine Rock Building
Saint Lucia, W.I.
To reach him no later than Wednesday, 11th October 2023.
NB: Applications may also be submitted via email to email@example.com. Unsuitable candidates will not be acknowledged. Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications and experience may not be considered for an interview. Only the candidates with the best qualifications and experience will be shortlisted for interview.
Notice expires at 11:59pm on Wednesday October 11th, 2023