Type of Vacancy: Community Vacancies / Expired Notices
Details of the Post
About the OECS
The Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) is an inter-governmental organisation dedicated to economic harmonisation and integration, protection of human and legal rights, and the encouragement of good governance among independent and non-independent countries in the Eastern Caribbean. Under the Treaty of Basseterre (RTB, 1981) and now The Revised RTB (2010), Member States agree to cooperate with each other and promote unity and solidarity, including participation by Protocol Members in an Economic Union. Read More…
Reporting to the Head of the Communications Unit, the Communications Specialist leads the visibility, awareness, education and learning objectives of the OECS Education Programme and extend similar services to other selected projects which will involve the development and implementation of communications and knowledge strategies aligned with the organisation’s overall communication and knowledge strategies and relevant work plans delivered to the highest standards.
More specifically, the Communications Specialist will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Lead and implement initiatives to communicate the activities of the OECS Education Sector Strategy (OESS) throughout the OECS region, and to ensure high awareness of the Education Sector Programme Implementation Grant (ESPIG) and its contribution to Education Development in the region. The Officer is expected to develop and implement a Communications and Public Awareness Strategy and work plan for the Education Sector Programme Implementation Grant and other programme areas under the regional Education programme.
- Lead the revision and operationalization of the OECS Education Initiatives Sustainability Framework.
- Support the development and implementation of a national and regional Change Management Strategy and Workplan to promote the outputs of the relevant programme.
- Support the development of a library of culturally relevant photo and video resources to facilitate the production of communication materials through strategic engagement at the regional and national levels
- Support the establishment of the library of resources described above on a suitable platform to increase accessibility such as tags, search engines etc.
- Support the development of and implementation of branding guidelines and securing of Intellectual Property for the relevant programmes and projects.
- Oversee and carry out the design, production, distribution and dissemination of communications and public awareness/knowledge products/materials associated with the implementation of activities undertaken under the relevant programmes.
- Coordinate and carry out the publication and/or distribution of information/knowledge (documents, newsletters, brochures, press releases and other public awareness materials) through traditional and non-traditional channels (online/virtual, social media platforms) associated with the promotion of the goals of the programme and in support of the various activities undertaken.
- Lead in developing compelling, newsworthy, politically sensitive articles, feature stories, press releases, statements, opinion pieces and multi-media content; Assist with the development of and/or ghostwrite pieces for others as appropriate;
- Work closely with relevant programme/project managers, Information Technology and the Webmaster/Digital Content Specialist to identify, elicit, research and develop powerful content for the various platforms and the media Client Relationship Management (CRM) system;
- Establish and pilot a communications model for the EDMU in relationship to the administration and implementation of programmes and projects in education
- Establish, develop and maintain a working relationship with the local communities, national and regional agencies of the OECS, and the media, to ensure effective communication and public awareness associated with the various aspects of the implementation of the relevant programmes.
- Support relevant projects and programmes in areas related to capacity building at national and regional levels to ensure effective implementation of project and programme activities, particularly as it relates to the preparation of materials for workshops and training exercises, strategic press briefings and media conferences;
- Assist and support the Project Team(s) in supervising and evaluating the performance of information dissemination and training activities that fall under the responsibilities of Technical Specialists, or other consultancies that shall be retained for specific information dissemination or training activities under the project.
- Lead the team in capitalizing on the visibility and learning value of various technical deliverables and work, from planning to post-execution.
- Lead in the planning and delivery of engagement events such as exhibitions, tours, demonstrations, and capturing of content for documentation of lessons, best practices, case studies and legacy, including
- Assist in the regular monitoring and review of execution methods related to project components and subcomponents. Provide the Project Manager/Programme Director/Education and Communications Units with progress reports, projections and analytics, as required, and contribute to the development of periodic work plans and reports. In particular, assist in developing and ensuring best practices in the structure and content of such reports, with consideration to audiences.
- The Communications Specialist may be required to undertake any such duties as may be assigned from time to time in support of other related areas.
Experience and Knowledge:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Information Management, Knowledge Management or a related field of study.
- At least three (3) years of relevant experience and familiarity with relevant stakeholders and knowledge of the context of the Eastern Caribbean.
- Experience in researching and analyzing trends in media, social media and web technologies.
- Proven ability to develop and successfully implement communications strategies.
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills are essential, including the ability to present concepts verbally.
- Ability to grasp complex development and advocacy issues and to engage with (and contribute to) campaign strategies, and maintain a good understanding of the political nuances associated with effective messaging.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the media including current trends in digital media/social media and technologies influencing earned media.
- Strong competence in digital photography, videography, and other audio-visual display technologies and methodologies. Knowledge of graphics/video/desktop publishing software is an asset.
- Strong competence in life cycle management of information and knowledge according to industry standards and with the latest technological trends.
- Demonstrated competence in Microsoft applications including Office Suite and Google Suite and other Electronic Document Management systems.
- Must possess excellent organisational and planning skills.
- Knowledge of the value of key regional education resources would be an asset.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
Terms of Appointment
The OECS Commission is headquartered in Castries, Saint Lucia. The position of Communications Specialist is open to nationals of OECS Member States and is stationed at the OECS Commission headquarters.
The position is on a fixed-term establishment. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience, and exempt from income taxes. In addition to the basic salary, this post attracts allowances.
The deadline for all submissions is Tuesday 7th September 2021.
Only applications under consideration will be acknowledged.
Notice expires at 11:59pm on Tuesday September 7th, 2021