Type of Vacancy: Community Vacancies
Details of the Post
The Government of Montserrat is inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for the post of Assistant Civil Engineer, Ministry of Communications, Works, Energy and Labour. Employment will be on a contractual basis for a period of two years.
To provide engineering and other services that include the preparation of bill of quantities and contract documents to the Department that will aid in the general development of the country’s infrastructure.
- Participate in engineering analysis and design of civil engineering structures as may be assigned by the Department Manager.
- Prepare engineering drawings, bill of quantities and contract document for estimation purposes by contractor and also for construction purposes.
- To carry out site supervision in concurrence with issued designs from the Department, for implementation by contractors.
- Update the Government Engineer on the progress of assigned projects and any difficulties that may be encountered.
- Assist in the preparation of payment certificates, for payments to be made to the contactors.
- Reviews of Planning Applications (i.e.) plans coming from the Physical Planning Unit for residential and commercial Development (e.g.) the inclusion of access roads/drainage to and from proposed land to be developed.
- Prepare drawings and drawing detail as requested and in conjunction the CAD technician.
- Supervises the Foreman, the Road Crew and the contractors who have been awarded contracts, on site.
- Provide civil engineering designs and analysis.
- Tender procedures preparation and assessment.
- Perform office administration duties – bills of quantity, contract documents, payment certificates, records and filing etc.
- Co-ordinate/supervise field projects.
- Report on updates of projects and other works as required.
- Project document preparation.
PERSONNEL SPECIFICATION (Qualification, Experience and Interpersonal skills)
The potential candidate is expected to possess:
- BSc in Civil Engineering
- Competence in applicable engineering software for analysis and design
- Knowledgeable in project estimation, tender procedures preparation and assessment
- Minimum experience of four (4) years in the field or a job of similar application.
- Working knowledge of engineering practice.
- Working knowledge of current engineering practice in compliance with updated code regulation and manual design Experience in structural engineering practice.
- Affiliation with recognized engineering association.
- Good interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with individuals of different demographics and diverse backgrounds;
- Convey instructions with precision and clarity to those being supervised
- Demonstrate leadership qualities by meeting due dates, and dealing with problems with an innovation approach.
- Very good communication skills.
The salary is in the scale R17-13, that is EC$58,896.00 to EC$65,232.00 per annum, starting at R17 EC$58,896.00 (taxable)
Travel Allowance – EC$9,600.00 per annum – nontaxable, payable if the officer maintains a motor vehicle.
Professional Allowance – $27,000.00 per annum (taxable).
Telephone Allowance – $720 per annum
HOW TO APPLY
For detailed information including the remuneration package visit our website at www.jobs.gov.ms.
Application forms can be obtained from the Government of Montserrat’s website at www.jobs.gov.ms or by contacting the Human Resource Management Unit, Brades, Montserrat by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at (+664) 491-2365/2444 or by fax at (+664) 491-6234. Certified copies of qualifications, as well as the names and letters of two referees and a recent police certificate/record must be submitted with your application.
Completed application forms must be returned to the Human Resource Management Unit either by email, or by fax or by ordinary mail. These should be addressed to the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resource Management Unit, Government Headquarters, Brades, Montserrat.
The deadline of receipt of applications is Friday July 31, 2020.
Notice expires at 7:49pm on Friday July 31st, 2020