CARICOM lauds Suriname’s tremendous strides on its 41st Anniversary of Independence
Posted in: Press Releases by admin | 24 November 2016 | Release Ref #: 170/2016 | 3011
As Suriname marks its 41st Anniversary of Independence, CARICOM Secretary-General Ambassador Irwin LaRocque has lauded the country’s tremendous strides since attaining nationhood.
In his congratulatory message to His Excellency Desiré Bouterse, President of the Dutch-speaking CARICOM Member State, the Secretary-General noted the global respect Suriname has earned through its sports, culture and academic excellence.
Ambassador LaRocque also applauded Suriname’s role in the CARICOM Quasi-Cabinet where the country has lead responsibility for community development, including youth, sports and culture.
Suriname gained independence from the Kingdom of the Netherlands on 25 November 1975.
Read full message:
The Caribbean Community conveys its congratulations to the Government and People of the Republic of Suriname on the occasion of their 41st Anniversary of Independence on 25 November 2016.
Suriname has made tremendous strides since its acquisition of nationhood and its people have demonstrated to the world that unity in diversity can truly foster a country’s growth and development. Through its sport, culture and academic excellence, Suriname has earned great respect in the global family of nations.
Its leadership role within the CARICOM Quasi-Cabinet in the area of community development including youth, sport and culture, has contributed manifestly to the human and social development of the Community. We look forward to Suriname’s continued active involvement as we work together to steadfastly advance the regional integration movement which will enhance the sustainable development of the country and the wider Caribbean Community.
Excellency, the Community joins the Government and People of
Suriname in celebrating forty-one years of independence, and we heartily extend best wishes for the country’s continued progress and growth.”
- (2019/03/01) - Community owes debt of gratitude to Secretary-General, CARICOM Secretariat employees – PM Harris - Read more ...
- (2019/02/27) - EU’s shifting tax compliance requirements encroaching on CARICOM’s sovereignty - SG - Read more ...
- (2019/02/26) - REMARKS BY THE SECRETARY-GENERAL CARIBBEAN COMMUNITY (CARICOM) AMBASSADOR IRWIN LAROCQUE AT THE OPENING OF THE thirtieth INTER-SESSIONAL MEETING OF THE CONFERENCE OF HEADS OF GOVERNMENT OF THE CARIBBEAN COMMUNITY 26 February 2019 St kitts and nevis - Read more ...
- (2019/02/26) - SG highlights Venezuela crisis, EU Blacklisting in address at CARICOM Heads Meeting - Read more ...
- (2018/10/19) - Suriname National Faith Leaders Consultation - Faith Leaders to establish the main goals for an Inter-Religious Faith Leaders Network in Suriname with emphasis on contributing to end AIDS - Read more ...