CARICOM Competition Commission Launches Regional Youth Essay Writing Competition for Students
Posted in: Press Releases by admin | 26 June 2019 | 270
The CARICOM Competition Commission (CCC) was established under Article 171 of the Revised Treat of Chaguaramas (RTC) of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM). In anticipation of the growth in trade and investments which was expected to emerge from the introduction of the Caribbean Single Market and Economy (CSME), CARICOM took the decision to enhance its competition laws and policy and this was the basis for the introduction of the CCC.
The CCC was inaugurated in January 2008 and over the past decade of operations, it has been engaged in a number of events to promote fair competition and consumer protection in the region in execution of the mandate to facilitate the exchange of relevant information and expertise and develop and disseminate information about competition policy and consumer protection.
It is against this background that the CCC is launching its inaugural CARICOM Competition Commission (CCC) Secondary School Essay Competition, targeting secondary school students between the ages of 12 and 19 years. To be eligible, participants must be resident in a CARICOM Member State. The categories and age as at the date of the deadline for essay submissions must be either:
- Category 1: 12-15 years
- Category 2: 16-19 years.
- “How does fair competition among businesses benefit me and my region?”
- “How does consumer protection law benefit me and my region?”
- 1st prize - USD1,000.00
- 2nd prize - USD750.00
- 3rd prize - USD500.00
We look forward to active involvement and participation in this inaugural event.
Justice Christopher Blackman
- (2017/02/27) - CARICOM Competition Commission hosts sensitisation workshop on competition law for MPs - Read more ...
- (2016/01/14) - The importance of competition during economic recession: CARICOM Competition Commission - Read more ...
- (2015/07/03) - CARICOM Competition Commission Completes the Preliminary Examination of CWC’s Agreement to Acquire Columbus Pursuant to Article 176.1 of the RTC - Read more ...
- (2015/03/19) - Consumers need help to make more informed and healthier decisions – CCC - Read more ...
- (2015/03/18) - CARICOM Competition Commission stresses healthy diets in fight against NCDs - Read more ...