• Login
  • / CARICOM Song /
  • Webmail /
Notice! This website has not been updated due to technical dificulties. We are currently addressing same.

Deadly Dorian Monster hurricane blamed for 5 deaths in The Bahamas


Posted in: Regional News by volderine | 03 September 2019 | 407

    Featured

    NASSAU, The Bahamas (CMC) — The Bahamas Government yesterday confirmed five people had been killed in the Abacos as the virtually standstill, but weakening, Hurricane Dorian continued to pound The Bahamas.

    Prime Minister Dr Hubert Minnis told a news conference that the Royal Bahamas Police Force “has confirmed that there are five deaths in Abaco”, adding that teams would travel to Abaco as soon as possible for “full and proper assessments and identification”.

    He did not provide a breakdown of those killed, but earlier reports said that among the casualties was a nine-year-old boy, who drowned. His sister is reported still missing.

    Dorian made landfall as a Category Five storm on Sunday, packing blistering winds of 185 miles per hour.

    Minnis said the authorities were still coming to grips with the situation in “the midst of a historic tragedy”.

    But he was also critical of people who had engaged in reproducing “fake news” and videos surrounding the damage caused by the hurricane, described as one of the most powerful storms to hit The Bahamas since records began.

    Minnis told reporters that he wanted only the “official channels” to be used in providing information on the storm here, saying “we need to be sensitive in reporting such information and will do so as soon as we have reliable information

    ////////////////////////////////////////////////