The Council for Human and Social Development (COHSOD) promotes human and social development.
Specifically, Article 17 of the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas (Link to Treaty), states the Council which consists of Ministers designated by the Member States, will:
- Promote the improvement of health, including the development and organisation of efficient and affordable health services in the Community;
- bpromote the development of education through the efficient organisation of educational and training facilities in the Community, including elementary and advanced vocational training and technical facilities;
- promote and develop co-ordinated policies and programmes to improve the living and working conditions of workers and take appropriate measures to facilitate the organisation and development of harmonious labour and industrial relations in the Community;
- establish policies and programmes to promote the development of youth and women in the Community with a view to encouraging and enhancing their participation in social, cultural, political and economic activities;
- promote and establish programmes for the development of culture and sports in the Community;
- promote the development of special focus programmes supportive of the establishment and maintenance of a healthy human environment in the Community, and
- undertake any additional functions remitted to it by the Conference, arising under this Treaty.
Each Member State shall be entitled to designate alternates to represent it on the COHSOD.
Last Updated: 15 January 2016
- (2019/06/05) - Regional Ministers of Culture, Officials to meet in Guyana for COHSOD this week
- (2018/07/16) - CARICOM fine-tuning financing mechanisms for Cultural Industries
- (2018/05/03) - Implementation of HRD Strategy will address issues articulated by youth, parents, community
- (2018/05/03) - HRD Strategy: another step in evolution of development of regional capital – CARICOM SG
- (2018/05/02) - COHSOD meeting this week to focus on implementation of HRD Strategy