CARICOM lauds Suriname’s tremendous strides on its 41st Anniversary of Independence
Posted in: Press Releases | 24 November 2016 | Release Ref #: 170/2016 | 684
As Suriname marks its 41st Anniversary of Independence, CARICOM Secretary-General Ambassador Irwin LaRocque has lauded the country’s tremendous strides since attaining nationhood.
In his congratulatory message to His Excellency Desiré Bouterse, President of the Dutch-speaking CARICOM Member State, the Secretary-General noted the global respect Suriname has earned through its sports, culture and academic excellence.
Ambassador LaRocque also applauded Suriname’s role in the CARICOM Quasi-Cabinet where the country has lead responsibility for community development, including youth, sports and culture.
Suriname gained independence from the Kingdom of the Netherlands on 25 November 1975.
Read full message:
The Caribbean Community conveys its congratulations to the Government and People of the Republic of Suriname on the occasion of their 41st Anniversary of Independence on 25 November 2016.
Suriname has made tremendous strides since its acquisition of nationhood and its people have demonstrated to the world that unity in diversity can truly foster a country’s growth and development. Through its sport, culture and academic excellence, Suriname has earned great respect in the global family of nations.
Its leadership role within the CARICOM Quasi-Cabinet in the area of community development including youth, sport and culture, has contributed manifestly to the human and social development of the Community. We look forward to Suriname’s continued active involvement as we work together to steadfastly advance the regional integration movement which will enhance the sustainable development of the country and the wider Caribbean Community.
Excellency, the Community joins the Government and People of
Suriname in celebrating forty-one years of independence, and we heartily extend best wishes for the country’s continued progress and growth.”
- (2017/02/14) - Crime and security ‘continues to pose a threat’ to region says CARICOM Secretary-General - Read more ...
- (2017/02/14) - ‘Take stock of the positive’ – CARICOM SG on integration movement - Read more ...
- (2017/01/10) - Signing of the Memorandum Of Understanding on Gender Equality and The Empowerment of Women - Read more ...
- (2017/01/10) - A crucial year for the Reform Process – CARICOM SG - Read more ...
- (2017/01/06) - CSME sensitization and capacity building for Suriname - Read more ...