Dominica donates US$100,000 to hurricane-ravaged Haiti, The Bahamas
Posted in: Regional News | 13 October 2016 | 794
ROSEAU, Dominica, Dominica News Online – Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit, has said the government of Dominica has donated US$100,000 to The Bahamas following the passage of Hurricane Matthew.
US$100,000 was also donated to Haiti, the hardest hit by Matthew, to meet that country’s immediate needs.
Skerrit, who is a heading a CARICOM delegation to the affected countries as Chairman of the Conference of Heads of Governments, arrived in The Bahamas on Wednesday after visiting Haiti.
He said the funds have already been transferred to the Bahamian government and said the government of Dominica is “very humbled” by the “small contribution” in the aftermath of the hurricane.
He called on the Bahamian people to exercise patience as the country rebuilds after the hurricane.
“I want to say to the residents of Grand Bahamas that you have to exercise great patience,” he said. “We must understand it is only six days since the storm and not sixteen or 60 or 600.”
He stated that although there may be anxiety among the people, he was impressed with the government who was able to respond to every single question about the restoration process.
“It is going to take all of us in The Bahamas to work together to ensure that we can bring the country back to a state of normalcy,” he noted.
The Prime Minister said CARICOM is on standby to provide technical people to assist in restoring electrical lines and poles.
“There are teams on standby, ready to come in at a moment’s notice to assist,” he said. (Dominica News Online)
- (2017/05/11) - Opposition Free National Movement Wins Bahamas 2017 General Elections - Read more ...
- (2017/03/09) - Rene Preval – quiet, unpretentious Caribbean Statesman: CARICOM SG - Read more ...
- (2017/02/24) - Haiti names new prime minister - Read more ...
- (2017/02/08) - President Granger says CARICOM stands in solidarity with Haiti - welcomes democratic renewal and new President Moise - Read more ...
- (2017/02/08) - CARICOM stands in solidarity with Haiti – President David Granger - Read more ...