Changing the world through our participation: Caribbean overview of the Sustainable Development Goals
Posted in: Regional News | 02 September 2015 | 2036
Six strategic action areas were agreed as critical for the Caribbean in achieving substantive gender equality and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals.
The priorities set to inform next steps around the localisation of the SDGs in the Caribbean were identified at a regional meeting of Ministers responsible for Gender Affairs, Parliamentarians and stakeholders towards ensuring a Caribbean voice and focus on Gender Equality in the emerging global sustainable development agenda. The meeting was hosted by the Government of Antigua and Barbuda in partnership with UN Women and UNFPA.
With the support of the UN Women MCO Caribbean Office, Guyana’s Minister of Social Protection, the Honorable Volda Lawrence M.P presented these outcome areas to the Eighth Conference of Commonwealth Women Parliamentarians held recently in the British Virgin Islands.
Minister Lawrence told the gathering the main action areas were:
- Prioritisation of goal no. 5 of the Proposed 17 SDGs – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls,
- Filling the CARICOM Gender Desk with a Regional Expert,
- Recommendation that CARICOM coordinate and lead the discussions on GE & SDGs regionally,
- Call for the Implementation and development of an inclusive M&E framework for GE & SDGs,
- Advocacy for adequate and targeted financial and human resources for gender responsive implementation of the SDGs and
- Building on existing partnerships to ensure implementation and monitoring of the SDGs.
- (2017/03/08) - Message From The Caribbean Community Secretariat To Commemorate International Women’s Day, 8 March, 2017 - Read more ...
- (2017/02/22) - CARICOM SG lauds Saint Lucia’s leadership role on Sustainable Development on its 38th Independence Anniversary - Read more ...
- (2017/02/22) - Legal sanctions and mandates must be reinforced… for lasting results … PM Browne - Read more ...
- (2017/02/21) - CARICOM Heads to champion ECWECC initiative: Violence against women and women’s and children’s health are priority interventions - Read more ...
- (2017/02/15) - Forum of CARICOM First Ladies and Spouses to move forward Every Caribbean Woman, Every Caribbean Child Initiative - Read more ...